Welcome to Kunsmiller Creative Arts Academy
Fall 2009 marked a new beginning for Kunsmiller, a spacious school crowning Harvey Park. Reopened as a K-8 school, Kunsmiller will be adding grades and ever increasing arts opportunities until it reaches capacity at 12th grade in 2014-15 school year. KCAA is one of the few public arts schools serving students in grades K-12 in the country.
Kunsmiller Creative Arts Academy serves students as a Denver Public Schools’ magnet with regional priorities, 75% of our students come from the Southwest Quadrant, and 25% of students from the rest of the district. Students apply and are selected at elementary by lottery. At middle and high school students must apply, complete an essay and interview to determine passion for the arts. KCAA currently has a student enrollment of 660 students. Please contact the main office to inquire about openings.
KCAA provides a learning environment based on research that active learning, experiential investigation and integrated arts are vital for the development of higher level thinking and of the enthusiastic engagement inherent in lifelong learning.
Inspired to achieve through imaginative explorations, students at KCAA can expect the following unique opportunities:
- Full day Reggio Emilia kindergarten classes, two classes each of first through fifth grades, and 140 students per grade in sixth, seventh and eighth grades.
- Our High School will open in 2011/12. Ninth Grade will begin with 90 students. In the coming years we will add a grade, keeping our high school classes at about 150 students per grade. Our first graduating class will be in the 2014/15 school year.
- A focus on knowing each child and supporting unique learning styles and needs
- An environment rich with arts materials, technology and abundant possibilities
- An array of daily arts classes with teaching artists, in addition to the arts infused into all standards-based core curriculum; career arts strands of choice for upper level students
- Before and after school care, sports, and arts opportunities
- An environment that values questions and questing for answers, creativity and imagination in all products, individuality above uniformity and excellence above standardized performance
- Opportunities for mentorships and internships in artistic career areas
- A culture of respect, encouragement and collaboration for each child, parent and teacher