Please click on the drop down tabs to view individual teacher pages.
First Fridays at KCAA!
Please look for updated information about KCAA First Fridays for the 2011/12 school year coming soon.
Please click to view the Arts Team Newsletter:
The Arts Team Newsletter is on hiatus for the summer, please check back in August.
Core classes for all elementary students are supplemented with regular classes in dance, drama, music, media, 2-D and 3-D art.
In addition to the DPS core curriculum, our middle school students have a 5th core class, Exploratory Arts. Middle school students also choose an advanced studio track and an additional arts elective to round out their exposure to a fully integrated experience.
High School students rotate through our Career and Technical Education arts program. Our CTE program is comprised of Visual Arts, Digital Media Arts and Performance Theatre departments. Students may also opt to take an additional arts study course in dance, drama, music, DMA, 2D or 3D.
KCAA teachers draw upon a variety of artistic resources. Our staff use planning guides anchored to the Aesthetic Dimensions of Learning which were conceived by Dr. Bruce Uhrmacher and his students at the University of Denver. KCAA classroom teachers and arts teachers collaborate on thematic units to ensure a variety of academic and artistic experiences for students throughout the year.
Why the Arts are Important in Education
- The arts motivate individual creativity, initiative and responsibility.
- They help add meaning to all academic subjects and create excitement about learning.
- By opening areas for success, they can be the reason some children stay in school.
- The arts help children celebrate their own cultural heritage and that of others, bringing families together to celebrate children’s efforts.
- Arts nurture the creative and innovative thinkers we need in our workforce.
- The arts surround children with beauty.
Porque Las Artes son Importantes en la Educacion
- Las ares motivan la creatividad individual, inciativa y responsibilidad.
- Ayudan a dar significado a todos las materias academicas y a crearel entusiasmo sobre el aprendizaje.
- Al abrir las areas para el exito, estas pueden ser las razon para que algunos ninos permanezcan en escuela.
- Las artes ayudan a los ninos a celebrar su propio patrimonio cultural y el de otros…reunen a las familias para celebrar los esfuerzos de los ninos.
- Las artes nutren a los pensadores creativos, innovadores neccesarios en nuestra fuerza de la trabajo.
- Las artes rodean a ninos con bellaza.